We've been in Hastings for about 3 weeks now. I have a job... but I'm not sure you can call it that because they haven't even scheduled me yet. I'm broke, my mom has given me some of the money that was supposed to be part of my graduation present (toward my loans and my car payments- yay mom!). I feel badly because I decided to come here, get an apartment, and its been great, but it hasn't been exactly the most fiscally responsible course of action. She's kind of mad at my dad because he encouraged me to come here when it probably wasn't the best idea. But I am here, and I am praying that everything works out.
I've been working on my resume and cover letter, searching for jobs online, I've found a few entry level marketing jobs that I'm really interested in. I need something steady during the day that will keep me busy and keep a steady amount of money coming in. I want to waitress on the weekends and at night to make extra money for expenses, but I can't rely on just waitressing, especially because the weather has been really funky lately (mostly rain) which spells NO MONEY at the pierview (check it out at www.thepierview.com) because it's right on the water. I'm hoping for soemthing with benefits since my mom's insurance coverage for me runs out soon.... keep your fingers crossed.
Also, I'm going to be interning with this organization called National student partnerships. It's based out of washington dc, but they have a center in the Bronx, where basically anyone can come in, and get help on a variety of things. Health care, housing, child care, education, job and resume help, etc etc are just some of the things that I'll be trained in to help clients. I'll be doing about 4-6 hours a week, and I'm really excited because this org. is nationally recognized, and you get awesome training, which will look great on my grad school applications.
Our apartment is great, small but great. It's in a nice neighborhood, and is on top of a 2 story house. It's a walk-up but has a small kitchen and bathroom, and two huge bedrooms (one is supposed to be a living room, but its Ashley's room and the other room is mine and Jon's) It's nice because it's private, safe and quiet... I feel like such a bum lately because I'm so broke and don't want to go out (Ash has been covering drinks and stuff like that when we do go out- and stuff for the apartment- i owe her big!). I have settled down sooo much since my crazy years at school (I was way tame this last year too) and I miss my wild nights, but I have an amazing boyfriend and I just don't really have the same energy anymore, its directed towards worrying about my bills and stuff I guess.
So Tricia (who owns the house where are apartment is) has these insanely feral cats that hang out on our steps. The steps themselves are slippery as hell when it is wet (I took a dive in flip flops the other day- the bruise was pretty wicked) but it just doesn't help when you come outside and there is cat shit on the steps. Clumpy, black pieces of crap waiting on the step, just waiting to be stepped on. I hate these cats. So, Ash and I decide to get "cat poison" or some kind of spray to keep these fucking cats away from the stairs. So we spray our landing area, and down the steps. This morning, I had to move my car (yea definately have gotten like 5 parking tickets since being here- theyyy love to sit and wait for your meter to expire and ticket you for parking on the wrong side for "street cleaning" between 9-10 a.m. the last time I saw them cleaning the street was last thursday at like 6 at night... fucking bizarre) and guess what was waiting for me on the landing that wasn't sprayed? give up? Mouse guts. little bloody intestines from some small rodent waiting on the steps. I would have started screaming, but I was too worried I'd get a ticket, so i had to leave. .... There has to be a way to keep those things away. Also Garbage gets picked up on monday mornings. Well, on like wednesdya last week, ash made some bizarre health food concoction that smelled like rotting feet and vinegar. So, I threw it out. Then... our entire apartment started smelling like that.... So i put the garbage bag outside our door. The next morning, we woke up to pouring rain, went to leave the house, and the garbage was EVERYWHERE... all over the steps, spaghetti pasta and some unidentifiable veggies... gross.
thats all for now
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment